[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #193
Subject: CO2 and Anabantidae
>While observing several members of the family Anabantidae in my planted
>tank with CO2, I noticed that they have a habit of pecking at oxygen
>rising from plants. One gulped down a small CO2 bubble gassing out of my
>reactor and reacted violently to it.
>I recently found a couple of healthy two year old golden Gouramis dead
>for no apparent reason, I now suspect that they breathed in pure CO2.
All I can say is that I am very fond of Anabantoids, and have never had a
death among them that I could attribute to CO2 ingestion/inhalation. To the
contrary, when I have once or twice severely (and accidentally) overdosed a
tank with CO2, the Anabantoids have fared far better than most of the fish
because of their ability to use atmospheric O2. I've lost other fish in
these disasters, but not the Anabantoids.
Aquatic Gardeners Association