Can you have too much laterite?

The recent discussion about red clay reminded me of a question I keep
forgetting to ask.  The Dupla method, if I understand it correctly, says
to mix a certain amount of laterite with a certain amount of gravel,
then top with plain gravel.  My question is, if the laterite was free,
would the substrate work better with more laterite and less (or no)
gravel, other than the plain gravel on top (and no substrate heating,
since added heat isn't really desirable here in Hawaii)?

If it matters, I'm not just asking the question "for fun".  Laterite is
available here in Hawaii if you know where to look, so it's something
that we've been thinking about now that we know where to look.

Thanks,
Wade Shimoda