Re: Riccia changing colour

>Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 22:31:12 +0800
>From: Loh Kwek Leong <timebomb at pacific_net.sg>
>Subject: Riccia changing colour
>
>The strange thing that I noticed in the past few weeks is that
>the Riccia is changing colour.  Instead of a bright green, it's
>becoming a dark green.

I have one Riccia which is a dark green and another which is bright green.
The one which is dark green has finer "leaves" and interestingly, is much,
much easier to keep on the bottom. It may change color in response to
nutrients - I have noticed it getting very dark after adding nitrogen (just
like greening up a lawn).

I actually got the dark green Riccia from Mr. Amano, but it is not the type
he uses in his aquascapes. The latter is Riccia fluitans which requires the
various tricks of using Utricularia, hair grass, Vesicularia to help it
stay down, long term. While the R. fluitans will start to float up after
the plant mass gets large enough (especially with a good coating of O2
bubbles), the dark green variety (possible R. rhenana) does not require the
various tricks to keep it down.

Neil Frank
AGA