Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #187

Hello,

You recently sent a query in:
> Aquatic Plants Digest      Tuesday, April 7 1998      Volume 03 :
Number 187

> Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 16:24:49 -0400
> From: "Guangyan Wang" <lesenw-2 at idt_net>
> Subject: Anubias
>
>         Hi, can any one give me any information on Anubias barteri and
> Anubias barteri var. nana. I want know is it a hardy plant or a
difficult to
> keep plant. What kind of water condition does it need, and what form
of
> fertilization that is sutable for it. What knid of light condition?
Does
> this kind plant like substrate fertilization or it gets the
nutrients from
> the water colume. How big does it get to. Post the information on the
> Aquatic Plant Digest or email me.

Since I have seen any replies in the recent issues of
the APD, I thought I might supply what information I
could. In my opinion, A. barteri and A. b. var. nana
are VERY hardy plants. In fact, nana has been referred
to a "the living plastic plant", it is so indestructable.
I currently have both in tanks with a pH range of 7.0
and down to 6.0. It thrives in all the tanks that I
have. I have utilized MANY different water additives.
I have also utilized different substrates. The biggest
influence on it's growth habits appear, to me, to be
light and CO2. In tanks that are hotter (above 80F)
they grow faster. The more intense the light, the
faster they grow also. I don't think that substrate
fertilization plays a big a role as fertilization in
the water column. This is only a guess on my part,
based on the fact the most of my specimens don't have
lots of roots in the substrate. The fact that the
rhizome should be kept above the substrate does
minimize the amount of roots that extend into the
substrate. I also have A. coffeeafolia, and would
make the same comments about it. Currently, A. barteri
is my favorite plant. I think it make a great addition
to any tank, and is extremely hardy. It is expensive
to obtain, and large specimens cost MUCH more.

Feel free to E-Mail me if you have other questions.

Cheers!
Eric Deese    Columbus, Ohio  USA