Re: Red soil

Hi,
Remember a while back reading a thing on red clays. Sorry
I can't remember the writer to credit. But I remember him
writing that the red color is a definite indication of
iron (actually rust). He said that he worked in the clay
industry for years and found it to be very hard to color
clay without iron oxide. I am guessing that this is
likewise for soil. I can't imagine anything else that
could cause the soil to have a red color.

From what I learned from S. Pushak, I am guessing that
the iron rich soil would make an excellent bottom layer.
Check out his page yet?