Water chestnut (Trapa natans)

At 03:48 AM 4/6/98 -0400, you wrote:

>>Hello all!
>>
>>I'm a master's student (environmental sciences) at the University of
>>Quibec in Montrial, and our team is researching the possibility of using
>>the water chestnut (Trapa natans) as a possible way of removing surplus
>>phosphorus in an eutrophic lake. We have chosen this plant because it is
>>also a non-native aquatic plant causing problems with lake users.
>>
>>We need the most information possible on this plant, especially
>>concerning its reproduction, life cycle, and anything related to
>>nutrient (particularly phosphorus) uptakes.
>>
>>Our idea was to restrain the plants in a certain area, using a dyke or
>>specially designed fences, and to collect the plants once they have
>>grown. The collected plants could then serve as compost or other uses.
>>
>>If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, remarks, or experience that could
>>be helpful, please contact me directly (I'm not on the mailing list).

I think using a non-native provenly invasive plant for _any_ type of water
treatment anywhere _near_ a natural body of water would be highly
irresponsible.

All it would take is one dog going for a dip in the holding area then
moving on for a splash in the lake proper to move enough plant material to
allow the plant to become established in yet another body of water.