Re: algae, plants and potassium

     >I've heard or read that potassium is used by algae and plants for
     >turgor, phototropism and transport.  Are there other important roles?
     >It seems to me that these functions (with the exception of turgor)
     >might be much more important to higher plants than they are to algae.
     >I've never heard of algae "following the sun" and they would seem to
     >have much smaller transport requirements than higher plants.

     >Does a shortage of potassium favor the growth of algae over higher
     >plants?

     I don't see how.  K deficiency would be equally perturbing to both, as
     algae have approximately the same K requirements as higher plants,
     i.e., their intracellular K concentrations are about equal.  Both have
     an amazing ability to uptake and concentrate K many many times greater
     than that of their external environment.  K is also an activator of
     some enzymes, BTW.  It's mainly the osmotic requirements for K that
     cause plants to concentrate it in their cells, though.

     However, potassium is strongly adsorbed by many soils, so if you have
     a substrate with a high potassium-binding capacity, then I can
     envision a situation where the water column could be low in potassium,
     but the soil could have tons o' K.  Here, it seems this situation
     would favor rooted plants over non-rooted ones.

     Kinda like that P-limiting idea Sears and Conlin came up with ;-)

     Regards,

     Mark