Re: QYNGA - bulb change

> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 07:16:35 -0800 (PST)
> From: Eric Deese <edeese at yahoo_com>

>George, maybe you can tackle this last point?

How could I refuse a nice request like that?  Heck, I'll go for ALL the points!

> I have recently acquired a fluidized bed filter for the
> sole purpose of lowering the general hardness of my water
> column in my 240G tank.

Umm, what is there about a fluidized bed filter that you think will lower your
general hardness? FBFs are used to achieve maximum biological filtration in the
minimum space. I don't think it will reduce your general hardness (calcium and
magnesium ions).

> Since the tank is 36" deep, I have
> been utilizing GE Chroma75 bulbs because they have a larger
> spike in the blue spectrum which should reach to the bottom
> of the tank.

2" or 36" inches of *water* won't reduce the intensity enough to worry about
what spectrum of light to use. The problem with deeper tanks is that the foliage
from the taller plants blocks most of the light for the lower plants. Changing
the spectrum won't help this at all.

> Given that reducing the general hardness
> should in effect decrease the density of the water, will
> this affect the spectrum of light that filters to the bottom
> of the tank?

OK, I get it - it's April 1st, right?  An April Fools question and I'm IT?

> My guess is that it should, and I have been
> considering switching to the GE Chroma50 bulbs. I am most
> concerned about the effect this might have on my Anubias
> coffeeafolia.

None that I can think of.

George "There's no fool like an old fool"