small worm appearance?

I have a small planted tank in my office.  10 gallon, gravel substrate, 40
watts of light.  Water is added as RO.  Plants include Apo (2), red
Ludwigia, and Heteranthera.  Some Riccia was in there but it up and died.  I
know, hard to kill that stuff.  Fish:  3 dannios and one pleco.

My problem is a sudden appearance of small worms, probably nematodes.  They
are about 3 to 5 mm in length with a white color.  They float through the
water column wiggling around.  At any one time there seems to be around 20
in the water column.  They are numerous on the substrate.  Looking at the
glass, it appears they are more numerous (hundreds) near the top of the
substrate.  Most appear alive and active as the squirm through the gravel.
They must not be too tasty since the Dannies spit them out (and they eat
anything).  Today is the first I have seen the worms.

Strange things recently:  2 different sets of 2 snails introduced into the
tank died within a day or so.  The snails came from my 40 long established
for over one year now.  My Betta died Saturday.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.