Re: Ammonia (was: Ozelot daughter plants and Jobe's sticks)

>Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 01:58:57 -0800
>From: Stephen Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>
>Someone else on the APD asked about ammonia appearing after the addition
>of several Jobe's sticks to the substrate. In the anaerobic environment
>in the substrate, bacteria act upon nitrate and reduce it to ammonia.

This is the second time I've seen reference to this.  It is my understanding
that nitrate does NOT get reduced to ammonia, but to elemental N2.  I thought
there was something about the bacteria using the oxygen for energy and being
lazy about not spending the time to scrounge up enough H to build ammonia.

Does anyone else have info on this?

George