initial setup

I am setting up my first planted tank and have gained alot of valuable
info from the archives. Thanks.  I am running into a few situations
that I have not been able to find the solutions for or need additional
help.

I have:
- 90 gallon tank (48" X 18" X 24")
- 160 watts flourescent lights (4 X 40)
- canister filter
- fluidized bed filter
- pinpoint PH monitor
- DIY C02

- water out of the tap has a PH of 7.8 and 4.5 KH

I am just getting the hardware to all work in sinc before I actually
plant anything.

Now for the questions.  I have not actually started with the C02 yet
but notice the PH rises to about 7.85 while the lights are on and
drops down to 7.6 when the lights are off (12 hours).  Remember this
tank is empty of plants and fish still. Is this normal or is my PH
meter acting up?  And if it isn't normal how do you know if the probe
needs replacing?
Once I get that straightened out how many bubbles of C02 is a good
number to start with.  I know it will very from aquarium to aquarium
but to save me alot of messing around a good starting point would be
nice.
Lastly if anyone has any ideas for a DIY bubble counter I would
appreciate the suggestions.  Thanks.