Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #168

>Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 02:25:22 -0800
>From: Rice <RiceGuy at stones_com>
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #167
>
>        As of now, my tank (50 gal hexagon) is vacant,
>except for a
>few ghost shrimps.  thinking of adding a pair of discus. My
>water, however, is very unfavorable for keeping soft, acidic
>water fishes. pH is around 8.3 and I'm guessing that the
>hardness is around 22 KH. Now, if I want to lower the pH, I
>can do one of the following or a combination: 1) increase
>CO2 (unlikely to be very effective because I dont want CO2
>poisoning), I figured that i can get the pH to 7.34 if I
>increase CO2 to 30 ppm. 2) add peat. Probably won't need to

Toan,

I know people in our area who keep discus just fine with CO2
injection.  My water is probably the same as yours, so your KH
is probably around 8.4 (GH 18).  At least that's what's out of
the tap.  Unless you have added something to raise your KH, your
CO2 should be around 16 ppm for pH = 7.2.

I keep my pH around this level with CO2 and my fish are fine.

Hoa