Vallisneria

I just read in FAMA's "For What It's Worth"  that a Bobby Ratliff pruned
his V. americana to "about 4 cm about the base" and this caused them to
put out many new leaves and runners.

Has anyone else had the same experience?  I ask because mine are over 3
years old with very few runners and after a bout with hair algae the
leaves are not in the best shape either.

Thanks in advance

             whomareyou?whomareyou?whomareyou?whomareyou
             h                                         ?
	     o  THE OPTIMIST BELIEVES WE LIVE IN       w
	     m  THE BEST OF ALL WORLDS; THE PESSIMIST  h
	     a  FEARS THIS IS SO                       o
             r                                         m
	     e  Mike Nielsen                           a
	     y  Department of Geography                r
	     o  Harvill Bldg Box #2                    e
	     u  Tucson, AZ 85721                       y
	     ?  mnielsen at u_arizona.edu                 o
             w                                         u
             homareyou?whomareyou?whomareyou?whomareyou?