Re: Cheaper lighting and closed ecosystem

> From: Jim Wilson <freaks at aracnet_com>
> Subject: cheaper lighting?
>
> I have seen this question posted but never a real answered. So i thought
> may be I would give it a try.
>
> Is ther a less expensive alternative to using florecent aquarium light?
>
> $15 and up a piece is spendy when have four of them to replace!!
> dave.

Cheaper lighting is not always inexpensive.  You can buy tubes that are not
effective; wrong spectrums; don't show correct color of fish, etc.  Most
tubes last 6 months.  There are tubes that are effective for 1-1/2 years to
2 years or more like Triton that shut down when they no longer are doing
any good.  These cost more, but are "cheaper" in the long run and make your
aquarium look better!
______________

Closed ecosystem -- It didn't work at the "Biosphere" in, I believe,
Arizona; it will not last the number of years claimed; and those who think
that it will go on indefinitely, I have a bridge to sell you!

Now to Joshua:

With your room so crowded, I would suggest a mini system that you could
grow some aquatic plants (Cryptocoryne, Java Fern, Java Moss, etc.) and a
Male Betta (Siamese Fighting Fish).  It is about as much self-contained as
any little ecosystem.  You could do it very nicely in a one gallon "pickle"
jar.  Male Bettas live two to three years and eat just about anything.

If you decide on Killifish, the same can be done and they do take room
temperature nicely like the Betta, but with the Killifish you are going to
be tempted to breed them.  Then, lots of jars.

The main thing is to enjoy what you have in mind.  People on this list will
help you with this mini project, but stay away from the commercial closed
ecosystem and be safe.

> I am thinking about setting up a miniature planted tank.  Probably about
> a gallon or so.  I have lots of experience with aquariums, but not
> necesarily planted ones. My room is getting crowded with aquariums,
> plants (orchids, African violets...), and other "necesities", so a large
> tank is definitely not an option.  Once (if?) I get the tank set up, I
> would like to add a pair of killifish.

Merrill
Aquatic Gardens Association