Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #137

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Dr. Dave wrote:

> Plants can utilize green light for photosynthesis. This occurs because,
> even though chlorophyll does not absorb green light, accessory pigments
> do. The energy captured by the accessory pigments is then magically
> transferred to the applicable photosystem. Take a look at Barry James'
> book on P. 21 and you will clearly see what Im talking about.

I have a few plant books, but not that one.

Do you have a sense for how common that adaptation is?  My understanding
is that most plants show so little response to green light (~530 nm) that
it is called "safelight" in plant growth research.  The researcher can
work by it, but the plants show minimal response to it.

Whatley and Whatley's "Light and Plant Life" is a nice (but slightly old)
discussion on the response of plants to different wavelengths of light.

Roger Miller