Calcium and hardness

I work hard to get my hardness down to around 30-40 ppm general hardness,
using either peat or Mardel's TankSoft.  I have the same white-shell symptoms
in my snails as mentioned in  APD#129, but I have attributed it to acid water
conditions.

If indeed it is a calcium issue, can I improve the useable calcium content
without increasing non-carbonate hardness? Or are my objectives of South
American water parameters (for my Apistos) and great plants at odds with each
other?

Bob Dixon