Re:Reptile sand

Roger answers:

<< I think most plants will do well with the small grain
> size, but it lacks normal soil components and so doesn't act much like
> soil.  Also, being so fine it can be moved around by small currents and
> stay suspended longer than normal sand.

> If you were to use it you would want to check its reaction pH (see what it
> does to the pH of distilled water) and see if it fizzes in acid.>>

Standard procedure after some disasters I have had with rocks.  I now soak it
in a pH 7.0 tank for a week, noting the GH and KH at the beginning.  I check
it after 7 days, and compare "before and after".

>  Also you would probably want to amend it with some organic component and/or
>clay.

My thoughts were to mix it with  laterite and possibly also sphagnum peat (I
tend to keep South American dwarf cichlids and tetras.  They like the effects
sphagnum has on the tank)

<If its color isn't a light tan then there might be a problem.   >>

It comes in light tan and also a light reddish tan (I suspect the latter may
contain some iron in its crystalline matrix).  Those are the only two colors
carried.

Bob Dixon