Re: Snails as indicators

Jeremy wrote;

>Snip
>
>The snails in this tank all have white shells. they are not
transparent and look kind of crumbly but are still very hard and
durable. Is this a sign of too little or too much calcium? Could it be
the CO2 reacting with there shells?

I think you have a calcium deficiency. My snails were looking like you
discribe and the bigger ones seemed to be dying. At the same time the
new leaves on my Hygrophila polysperma were distorted and growing
slow. Based on the nutrient deficiency charts it appeared that I had a
calcium deficiency.  I added some calcium and both the snails and
polysperma are doing much better.

==
Jim Spencer
Sayre, PA