Oh NO! another beginner

I have kept aquariums for more than 3 years but have not attempted aquatic
plants.  I've been following APD for appx. 1 month. I would like to try a
planted tank of ?10 or 20 gallons.  So several questions:  what would be a
good reference to get and have on hand for aquatics, any recommendations on
what would be good beginners plants, and any other recommendations you all
might have.  I'm not looking for great detail or a lot of your time...just
a place for the beginner to start after all I am picking up quite a bit by
just reading this digest.  Thanks