freezing PMDD? lighting?

Anyone ever tried freezing mixed PMDD to keep it 'fresh'?

I've been reading various things on the web, and was wondering if the screw in type
florescent bulbs are good for plants. What is compact florescent? Are these two the
same? I'm thinking of building a hood/canopy for a 50 gal hex, and being a hex, it is
hard to fit some light bulbs. What would be an ideal wattage? I vaguely remember
Steve P. telling me to aim for 2-3 watts/gal, am I correct?