Re: Surface scum

>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:02:02 -0600 (CST)
>From: Kin T Tam <tamx0004 at tc_umn.edu>
>
>>I posted in the past before.  I had no surface scum in my 150.  From what
>>I see the UV filter does not help in removing the surface scum.  I also
>>had a Emperor 400 and that was keeping the scum off the tank because of
>?sunigiant water movement at the surface.  After removing that I've been
>?getting surface scum.  The scum comes back very quickly.  It goes away
>?after a large water change because of all the water movement at the
>?surface.  But a day later a thin layer will start forming again.  I think
>?the only way to deal with it is have a lot of water moving at the surface.

>I found that surface scum was usually due to the food that I added to my
tanks.  When I reduced my fish load and feedings past a certain point, the
surface scum went away.

I have just come back from 10 days in Cyprus and found that the surface
scum has disappeared.  I fed the fish using an Eheim automatic feeder and
set it to provide about half the normal amount of food per day (for
safety's sake).  Perhaps that was the cause of the disappearance of the
scum.

Try my Web Site at http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~lachlan/timber.html which is
on the History and Construction of Medieval Timber-Framed Houses.