RE: bog plants

Ed Hengel <hengel at computer_net> wrote:
> I'd like to set up a hanging planter in a sunny window of marsh plants,
> like those pictured in the back of the Dennerle book, such as
> Hemigraphis colorata and Ophiopogon japonicum.  They are nice looking
> plants and LFS seem to have marsh plants in abundance, albeit submerged
> <g>.  Do you think this is possible by just using a container without
> drainage?  What type of soil or substrate would work best?  Being that
> there would be no drainage, are there problems with trying to grow marsh
> plants in a small stagnant container in a sunny window?  If you have any
> experience growing these plants, in this manner or any other,  I'd be
> grateful to hear.

I'm doing this now. I'm having better success with "larger" setups,
though, as small ones tend to get stagnant or dry out rather
quickly.

My 29g bog tank is filled half-full of water, lots of plants growing emersed,
and I've just put in simple 2mm sandblasting gravel.  Since there
was room, I've put in some killies.  It has two levels (one 8" deep,
the other 2-3" deep).

I have to add water to the smaller bog tanks (5g) every third day
(it's arid here in Colorado), but I can get away with adding water
to the 29g once a week.

The 29g tank has no filtration, water movement, or supplemental lighting
whatsoever.  It simply sits on the window sill.  It never gets scummy,
I only replace evaporated water (haven't done a water change in
over a year), and the killies are breeding.  Maybe I got lucky?  All
my bog tanks have open tops.

--charley
charleyb at cytomation_com