Refill at fire departments?

before anything, sincerest thanks to everyone. So many has been ever so kind to help me out. I think this is a great list and the people on here are not only knowledgeable but also warm and understanding (all those strange questions I asked). Special thanks to Steve Pushak.

          My physics teacher, a paint ball gunner, told me that he goes to the local fire department to refill his 20# CO2 tank for around $5. Does anyone know the QUALITY of the CO2 provided by fire departments? Are all CO2 created equal? Or are some created more equal than others? :-)