Re: proper pH

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 00:15:29 EST
> From: D0NxD0N at aol_com
> Subject: proper pH
>
> hi everyone,
>      i e-mailed aquarium pharmaceuticals and asked them exactly how their
> proper pH product works and i just wanted to pass the info on.  here's what
> they said-
>
> Proper pH is a true BUFFER.  That means that its chemical formula has a
> pre-set pH.  As a buffer, it neutralizes any + or - shift in pH, in order
> to maintain the pre-set pH level.  Buffers have to be strong enough to
> overpower the existing buffer in the tap water.  Sometimes in highly
> buffered (high KH) or very acidic water, you need to add more than one dose
> of Proper pH to hit the ph level you want.

	Well, yes, as "true" buffer is one that contols pH shifts in
either direction.  I believe the term is amphiprotic?  Chemists help me!
There was some discussion a while back about calling baking doda (sodium
bicarb., or maore accurately sodium hydrogen carbonate) a "true" buffer.
Some argued that it is really more like a pH adjuster from a chemists
perspective.

> >>Proper pH is a PHOSPHATE buffer.  Phosphate buffers are the most reliable
> and non-toxic buffers for freshwater aquariums.  Proper pH 8.2 is a
> non-phosphate buffer made from carbonates and bicarbonates.  The phosphate
> level in proper ph is SO HIGH that it ties up trace elements like iron, so
> algae gowth is STUNTED.  YES.  High levels of phosphate actually stunt
> algal growth.  We used phosphate buffers in 10 gallon aquariumshat were lit
> by three 20 watt fl. tubes running 10 hours a day.  No excess algal growth.
> The phosphate tied up the trace elements required by the algae.  Phosphate
> was actually an old fashioned algacide!

	Well, maybe.  Certain municipalities add types of phosphate to
their water for just such purposes.  Renton ( a place near Seattle), just
started adding some type of phosphate to bind up Fe and other metals.
They also added flouride and switched from chlorine to chloramine, much to
the regret of many an unsuspecting fish enthusiast!  Anyway, I don't think
such phosphate additions would have an effect on EDTA chelated trace
elements, only on non-chelated ones.  I seem to recall there was once a
long thread on water treatments and flocculants.  Take a look in the
archives.  I would think that it could work as an algicide only if the
phosphate were somehow not in a bio-available state, or if trace elements
were non-chelated.  Interesting stuff here... I hope some of our resident
chemists/botanists will chime in

> NEVER use proper pH in a planted aquarium. The trace elements will be tied
> up.  The plants will gradually yellow and die.<<
>
> BTW, is that true what they say that "high levels of phosphate actually stunt
> algal growth?"

		Andrew