Laterite

>Karen-
>      What makes the Dupla worth the difference in price.  Is your preference
>based on performance, composition, or marketing?

It's based on experience with all three products (plus the old AP laterite)
in a number of tanks over a long period of time.  With my tap water and
maintenance routine, Dupla laterite clearly produces the best growth, at
least in the first 6-9 months.  Substrate Gold comes next, and Theil
laterite comes next.  AP laterite probably ranked close to Substrate Gold,
but was much harder to work with in terms of suspended particles.

I suspect that the initial growth with the other products could be
increased with the use of small amounts of solid NPK fertilizers, as I
suspect that those are the main ingredients in Dupla's "rooting tablets".
But Dupla has done the work determining how much of these elements need to
be supplied in the early months of a tank's life, and it doesn't require
trial and error to determine how much you need.  I find this convenient,
and it can be indispensable in the case of a novice aquatic gardener
without reliable help and supervision.

BTW, any one who's known me for any length of time knows that marketing
doesn't impress me much ;-)  I stick with products that work for me.