Re: E. stellata, Nesea/Eleocharis

Erik Olson writes...

>Hi guys, no sooner have I gotten off e-mail from Olga telling me the
>Vancouverites are raising Eusteralis stellata (B2,D,G), than I get a phone
>call saying there's some in my favorite LFS (well, one of my *two*
>favorite LFS, Andrew).  They also had Nesaea sp. "Red leaved" (B2).
>Both of these seem to be really high light.  Any experiences or tips
>on these very unusual plants?

I've had them growing for about a year in three tanks, all with good
lighting. The eusteralis seems to require as little as three watts
fluorescent per gallon. The nesaea has only been grown under metal
halide. It survived in the pet shop for ten weeks under minimal
lighting, during which time it remained green before they allowed me
to purchase it. I thought it was ammannia gracilis until last week.
It tends to lose many of its lower leaves and doesn't really do very
well until it reaches the surface at which point the stem snakes about
producing beautiful large red foliage.

A couple of weeks ago when I asked if anyone had had any luck with
ammannia gracilis it was this plant to which I was referring.

I'm aware of only one person who grows nesaea. He juxtaposes it and
eusteralis as centerpieces in his show tank. Maybe Kris would like to
comment if he still subscribes to the list. I intend to try this.
I been told that a very fertile substrate is beneficial to nesaea,
but I grow both species in medium or fine gravel. The water contains
very little calcium and KH<3. They get PMDD, CO2, no substrate
fertilizer, but some water circulation. The more light they get,
the better they look.

By the way, the aphids like them too.

Alessandro Pirotta asks about eleocharis acicularis.

>I saw it in a picture on a book and found pretty suitable for my tank.
>has anybody any experience/knowledge about it?
>thanks in advance
>- --Alex

I grow A. minima in a 15 gallon with bright light. It gets neither
circulation nor filtration, nor CO2. Five guppies and PMDD ensure
its dense growth. I attribute this to the lighting of 3 watts/gallon.
How many submersed plants do well without some circulation?

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca