Green water outbreak

Hi....

I have a green water outbreak in my 100 G tank and have a question... I
was under the impression that green water meant suspended algae and so I

loaded my tank with plants to compete with resources...  however, the
green water got worse than it was this morning... like exponentially
worse (I can't see through my tank to the other side!!!).

A friend said that what he thought was algae was actually a parasite
that a certain medication removes.  He was told this by a pet store
employee and it apparently worked.

How do I know that my green water is algae and how do I stop it?!!!

Help!

Adam