Re: To Filter or not, Surface scum, Yeast CO2 Stopped.

>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:30:57 -0500
>From: gacasey at ibm_net
>Subject: To Filter or not
>
>Hi, This is a question I have been mulling over lately so I am hoping to
>get some input from the list. I have a 150G Plant tank athat, at
>present, is filtered with a wet\dry. The tank has CO2{auto}, 2 175wattMH
>lamps{pendants}. It is fairly heavily planted and at this time only has
>1 small fish, a hillstream loach. I don't ever plan to add too many more
>fish maybe a dozen or so cardinals and rummynose and possilbly a few
>corys. I would to know if removing my wet\dry bioballs will be good\bad
>for the tank? The water usually tests at ph6.9, kh2-4, gh 8-11 Phos .9
>on my last test. 0 amm 0 nit. Thanks any help at all would be greatly
>appreciated.
>Later Gareth

Your tank doesn't need additional biofiltration.  From what I can tell, the
bioballs aren't hurting anything either.

--

>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:02:02 -0600 (CST)
>From: Kin T Tam <tamx0004 at tc_umn.edu>
>Subject: Surface scum
>
>I posted in the past before.  I had no surface scum in my 150.  From what
>I see the UV filter does not help in removing the surface scum.  I also
>had a Emperor 400 and that was keeping the scum off the tank because of
>sunigiant water movement at the surface.  After removing that I've been
>getting surface scum.  The scum comes back very quickly.  It goes away
>after a large water change because of all the water movement at the
>surface.  But a day later a thin layer will start forming again.  I think
>the only way to deal with it is have a lot of water moving at the surface.

I found that surface scum was usually due to the food that I added to my
tanks.  When I reduced my fish load and feedings past a certain point, the
surface scum went away.

--

>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:54:21 -0500
>From: "Erik Peterson" <erik2323 at voyager_net>
>Subject: Yeast CO2 Stopped.
>
>I recently set a up a yeast CO2 reactor for one of my planted tanks.  For
>about a day it produced bubbles at a steady rate (about one a minute).
Then
>it just stopped making bubbles.  If I shake it or swish the water around a
>little it makes bubbles like crazy for about 3 seconds then stops again.
>What can I do to make it continuously make CO2?  I hope you can help.
>
>- -Erik

Please do not send HTML to the list.  It doesn't display well, and is a
pain to clean up and format a response to.

You didn't mention what recipe you used to set up your yeast generator.
The most common way is to use 2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of yeast, 1
teaspoon of baking soda, and then fill your 2 liter bottle to within 3" of
the top with lukewarm tap water.  This recipe usually lasts from 3-4 weeks
with most municipal water supplies.  If you're using this recipe, then you
probably have at least one leak between your CO2 generator and your tank.

--
David W. Webb           Texas Instruments
(972) 575-3443 (voice)  http://www.dallas.net/~dwebb