[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Recurring Algae Growth


>To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
>From: "STEVE" <dragon at inetone_net>
>Subject: Recurring Algae Growth
>Date: Mon, 16 Feb 98 16:03:41 PST
>I am not a frequenter of the Internet, however, I am turning here in desperation.  I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank with a Whisper backfilter.  It contain approximately 40 medium to full grown guppies and 5 newborn guppies.  There are no live plants other than the algae which grows so quickly that the water is green within a month after a thorough cleaning.  I have tried removing everything from the tank and replacing it with new decorations/gravel and bleaching the tank all with no effect.  The tank stayed crystal clear w/no problems of algae for many years.  The problem began after I added a clown decoration which blew bubbles out of balloons.  I examined this decoration after the growth began and discovered that it was anchored with a small package of rocks and sand.  I removed the clown from the tank immediately and have had this problem ever since.  I even let the tank set empty for several months.  The only light source to this tank is a penn-plax aquari-lux aquarium l!
>ight FL-15.  When the tank was at my mother's house it did set in front of a window, however, there are no windows with open blinds near it now.  The light stays on from about 8 or 9 in the morning until 9 or 10 at night.  I am going to try turning the light off sooner to see if that helps.  The tank breeds so much algae that it has killed the past two chinese algae eaters that I have purchased.  I have tried practically every algae destroyer on the market to no effect.  I even tried using Algicide (which they use in ponds) to no avail.  I heard a rumor that adding a small amount of table salt to the tank would stunt or stop the growth of algae, so I tried it.  It didn't work.  I am at my wit's end.  I love my fish, but hat trying to find them in a cloud of green water.  Strangely enough, this algae does not accumulate thickly on my decorations, although it does stick to the glass.  If you know of anything that will help, please tell me.
>					Desperately seeking an answer,
>						Andrea