Re: Did I Goof?

>Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 17:46:43 -0600
>From: "Kudzu" <Kudzu at airnet_net>
>Subject: Did I goof???
>
>I think I have made a big mistake and need some advice quickly. I just set
>up my 60 gallon for plants. Clay with sand over that. In my hurry to get it
>set up I didn't think to wash the sand. This is #3 sand blasting sand. Now I
>am getting a fine film on the heater, the two plants and on the glass that
>is very course to the touch. Obviously from the sand. As soon as I saw this
>I knew I had messed up. The tank is very clear now. But ever time I do
>anything it gets stirred up again.
>
>I think I need to pull this mess out and start over. I don't have but two
>plants and no fish in there yet. However a tank full of plants on order and
>due any day. Need some advice pretty quickly. Should I tear in down and
>start over or is there something else I might do?
>

>Jeff <*\\><   (Just call me Sandy)

Jeff-
It is possible to siphon the sand out of your tank without disturbing (too
much) the clay substrate. Just use a 1/2" or 5/8" inch hose. Start a
siphon, and use the hose to vacuum the sand from the tank into a bucket.
After you have cleaned the sand, you can siphon it back into the tank the
same way. By directing the hose, you can get a surprisingly even
distribution of the sand. You will have to get the bucket above the level
of the tank for this to work. I have a steel hook screwed into a ceiling
joist that I hang a water bucket from when I do my water changes. By
siphoning water into the tank instead of pouring it in, I avoid having to
worry about disturbing the substrate.

Regards,
Bob