substrate

Hi!  I'm planning a 150g heavily planted tank with f/w fishes in there also.
I feel as though I have the lights figuered out (icecap ballast, VHO 72"
lights), etc.  I am very confused about the substrate options.  Kitty litter
and sand, laterite and gravel, flourite alone or with sand, ...
This is a new adventure for me, and I don't want to kill plants.  Any
thoughts or advice would be truly helpful.  Thanks so much, Kes-Nicole