Algae identification

My three week old tank has developed a kind of algae which I have not seen
before.  Algae identification is not a strength of mine, so with the kind
assistance of the list, I hope this will be an opportunity to improve it.
 Certainly this one should be easy to recognize if I see it again.

This algae is a dark, dark green or grey and is incredibly slimy.  It coats
the upper parts of the taller plants but wipes off (and more or less
dissolves when wiped off) very easily.  It forms long strings which appear
to be hollow, and grows very quickly.

You can see it here:

http://home.istar.ca/~fir/algae1.jpg
http://home.istar.ca/~fir/algae2.jpg

It is happily photosynthesizing - you can see the oxygen bubbles in the
pictures.  I also have, at the same time, a bit of cloudiness in the water.

Can somebody here tell me A) What kind of algae this is and B) what
conditions it favours?

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir