The other side of the LFS

Jim Kostich <jkos at execpc_com>
wrote: <<<< The other side of the LFS (...)
3.  I'm also likely to pay more if the product looks good on arrival.
I've
got one customer that regularly brings in about a dozen bunches of
Ludwigia,
bundled much like the wholesalers do, only hers are a little larger, and
lot healthier looking.  Another customer brings in a bucket full of
assorted
cuttings, some mostly leggy stem, others pretty nice - but all tangled
in a
huge mass that I have to sort through and bundle for sale.  It's hardly
surprising that I'm a bit more interested in the first customer's
merchandise.
(...)>>>>>>>>

That's a good point, and it makes me feel better
about all the time I spend selecting the nicest cuttings and
bunching them together. Also, since I grow plants in tanks
with fish, I disinfect everything I give out with a potassium
permanganate bath (when the tank looks healthy. If I only
suspect there is some disease, the cuttings go to the earthworms).
Not everybody can maintain a plant quarantine tank, and I feel
it is my responsibility to do everything I can not to create
problems to others. That also pleased the store people.
 As I read on this list quite a long time ago in somebody's post,
the idea is to make your plants more attractive than those
commonly available in the store.
I also check with them what they like: surprisingly too many large
plants (even if they look great) may be a problem, since most
customers have small tanks. They also like less usual things,
such as utricularia, large frogbit, riccia, etc. ,if in small
quantities.
They may not be worth a lot, but it helps to make the store
owner feel that you can offer something different than the wholesaler
(and their place from any other store in the area).
Of course, it may happen that not everybody finds store owners
that appreciate these things.

Dionigi