Re: DIY hood

>Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:30:25 EST
>From: StephenBou at aol_com
>Subject: Re:  Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #80

>I have a question for you DIY hood builders:  Is it necessary to have
>some kind of glass/plastic between the water surface and the bulbs?

No.  But you may consider waterproof endcaps and/or really good ways to
secure the bulb to the hood.  I asked my brother to feed the fish for me
while I was out of town one time, and he slammed the lid down too hard
after feeding the fish.  I came home and found one bulb submerged in the
water, but still on.  I had waterproof end caps and they worked.  No
damage.  I have since then added more bulb clips to hold that bulb.  If you
are using clips, the locking type is more secure.

Hoa

                     Hoa G. Nguyen
NRaD Code D371             Email: nguyenh at spawar_navy.mil
San Diego, CA 92152-7383   http://www.spawar.navy.mil/robots/
  Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/