Re: CO2, plant sales, covers

> >> And a bottle of yeast mix is a lot smaller than a
> tank+regulator+needle valve and so easier to live with and easier to
> hide.
> >>

> A 2L bottle isn't much smaller than a 5lb CO2 bottle and I found the
> CO2 bottle much easier to tuck away in the aquarium stand. You don't
> have to fool with it every other day or be concerned about temperature
> or distance from the tank.

I don't fool with them every other day, or get concerned about temperature
or distance from the tank.  I set up a new reactor every 4 to 6 weeks, get
consistent, dependable production and often don't even see the reactor
again until it's time to set up a new one.

If you had to mess with yours that much, then you were doing something
wrong.

> >>If it weren't for the horror stories I've read on this list I'd
> never mention the fact that yeast is also safer than bottled liquid
> CO2 for people and for aquariums.
> >>

> With the least bit of care CO2 cylinders are perfectly safe to use.
> You could say that yeast bottles are unsafe because the cork may blow
> off and put your eye out.  As far as the aquarium goes I experienced
> far greater ph swings with the inconsistent output of yeast bottles
> than I ever did with the CO2 cylinder.

There are people on this list who've reported killing all or most of the
fish in their tanks because of malfunctions in regulators or controllers.
Heck, even Amano reported that problem.  The danger of damage from the
bottle itself is real but the chances are pretty remote.  There may be a
greater chance of blocking output from a yeast reactor and having that
cause a rupture.   However, the consequences in the event of a problem
with the CO2 bottle are potentially much worse than the consequences of a
problem with the yeast reactor.

[snip]

> As far as the hobby goes, I consider the $124 I spend for the CO2
> bottle and regulator one of the best investments I made.

I'm glad you're pleased with it.  My comments are aimed more to people who
haven't gone that far yet.  They don't have to invest $124 (or $175 or
$250) to get a working, safe and dependable CO2 supply.

> << Karen, my LFS offered me 14% for some fish.  I flushed them rather than
> > give them away.  This store has a rep for very high retail prices too.
> > Often twice what the mail order places charge. >>
> >>

> Standard wholesale on livestock should be 1/3 retail.  When I used to sell
> angels for to one of my favorite LFS's years ago, the proprietor always
> lowered the retail to reflect this ratio, "passing on the savings to the
> consumer".  I can understand your frustration.  You may have to go further
> afield to find a more reputable store.

The shop I deal with (the largest non-franchise in this area) gives me 50%
of retail on fish and 67% of retail on plants, both in trade.  Never cash.
Doing it in trade that way their actual cost is even smaller.  If the
markup on hardware is only 100%, then their cost is only 25% of retail for
fish and 33% of retail for plants.  I figure that both the store and the
hobbyist come out in good shape that way.

The store owner and employees seem to be actively interested in buying
from local hobbyist.  Just think, they get livestock that is already
acclimated to local conditions and hasn't suffered the stress of shipment.
They get plants that are in peak condition.  The fact that both livestock
and plants are healthy reduces their losses, so their profits are higher.

Besides, it encourages people to be more interested in the hobby and to
invest more in hardware.  And that (the hardware) is probably where most
of the profit is.

The attitude at this shop may be part of the reason why they're the most
successful shop in the area.

> >Do people with DIY usually have some kind of glass/plastic separating the
> >water surface from the flourescent bulbs? Would this be necessary?

I use lighting eggcrate cut to fit the top of the tank.  It's cheap.  It
works.

Roger Miller