Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #78

Subject: Angelfish in a planted tank?

>I a rather new, although I have done much reading.  Anyway, I am planing
on setting up a 10 gallon planted tank with Angelfish.  I plan on using
yeast injection, laterite, fertilizer tablets, and 2 light tubes (3
watts/gallon?)  The LFS sold me some "peat plates" so the plants could
root.  I plan to use these and some driftwood to make the water soft.  I
think that Angelfish prefer softish, slightly acidic water.

The first problem is that full grown angelfish don't physically FIT in a
10G tank. (let alone the high nutrient load on a tank of that size.  Start
with a bigger tank or smaller fish.

Subject: Re: driftwood conditioning

>My dealer sells rolls of zinc sheet for weighing down wood.  (Don't use
>lead!).

Since my vet just finished telling me about a dog she treated for zinc
poisoning after ingesting  a Monopoly playing piece, I don't think I'd want
to put a sheet of zinc in the bottom of my tank.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association