RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #76

> Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 15:42:17 -0600
> From: DaveMcKenz at webtv_net (John McKenzie)
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #75
>
> I have a 125g tank with moderate light levels CO2 injection and 7.0 pH.
> I use PMDD .  When I make my weekly 25% water change the plants put out
> O2 like crazy for one day.  Then they return to rather unspectacular
> growth.  The plants are rotala i., ludwiga r., swords and a few misc.  I
> live near Chicago and use tap H2O for changes.   My tank nitrates are
> 5ppm and PO4 is 0.2 ppm.  I'd like to have O2 coming off m plants
> throughout the photoperiod.  Any advice?

It sounds like your tank is lacking something which is present in your tap
water.  If you cannot narrow it down with test kits, then try adding a
small amount of MgSO4 one day, some K2SO4 another day, (you probably have
noth of those in the house for your pmdd), and a source of calcium another
day.  Observe whether one of those causes the bubbling you are looking for.

Best wishes...

Frank.

-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir