RO, deionization (lots of questions on deonization)

>Putting the RO waste back into a well is a Bad Idea.  Even if the wellhead
>time the pump came on.  Besides, returning water through a well is a
>regulated behavior in most places in the US and requires special permits.
>There might be other uses for the water.  For instance, it could be used
>for irrigation (depending on quality, season and local) used in a "grey
>water" system or stored for washdown (driveways, cars and so on).

    I've been thinking about this for a couple days.  What would happen if
one where to build a large tank that the wastewater would go into.  The
waster water would then be used in the hot water heater.  Of course there
might not be enough RO waste water for the heater and in that case you could
have a pump that makes sure the waste tank is always filled up half way
(with waste or pump in new water) or it could be setup so that some logic
system would detect that the tank was empty and would switch in regular
water.

    Problems I see are buildup on the hot water heater/pipes (but I don't
know enough to know if this is likely) and the cost of such a system.  Of
course this would probably be done in the fine spirit of DIY.

    I personally don't think I can afford the RO option and the waste water
problems it creates.  I want to try one of the resin (sp?) systems that
deionizes water.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  The Krib
mentions that there are two types.  One outputs water with a high
sodium/salt content and another outputs "normal" water (close to RO water?).
These systems have to periodically recharged by pumping through some acid
(have to look up type) and then pumping through some wash water.

    Does anyone have such a system setup?  What are the costs and can this
be done DIY?  Does the water need to be dechlorinated/dechloramined first?
Where can the resin (sp?) material be purchased?

    Thanks!
    Cymen Vig
    (Way too many questions on water purification... all in the name of
Discus)