filter bubbles

I recently added a power head with a fine particulate filter to my 60 gal
tank. The purpose was to provide additional water movement and to clean the
water of some of the floating bits.
After about a week, the filter become clogged up, waterflow slowed down to
a trickle and the filter produced gas bubbles.
I guess that these are either N2 or C02 bubbles. I haven't attempted to
collect them and test for acidity. Either way, I am losing "valuable"
macro-nutrients. I suppose, the bubbles could be methane, too.
Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Michael Eckardt
Lose your question and you will find the answer. Riven