Re: Q:Nitrate Supplement

>Hello all,
>    My 55g planted discus tank is doing quite well thanks in large part
>to information from this list.  It is doing so well, in fact, that is is
>using up nitrates faster than my fish can produce them.  As a matter of
>fact, my nitrates read zero with a Red Sea test kit.  All of my other
>levels are good, temp. 85, NH3 0ppm, NO2 0ppm, 2 dKH.  My GH is a bit
>high at 12-13 degrees.  What I am looking to do is supplement with KNO3.
> My problem is that I am not sure about the amount.  So here is my
>question, assuming access to lab grade chemicals and distilled water
>(one of the few perks of being a grad student), how would you mix up a
>supplement and how would you dose it?
>Thanks,
>Mark Storch
>mscc at andrew_cmu.edu

Have you looked at the PMDD articles yet?  You can find them at the Krib
under Plants and Planted Tanks/Fertilizer.

I recently decided I needed to start adding KSO4 to my tanks due to
potassium deficiency.  I was already adding Kent Freshwater Plant mixture
so I didn't need all the other stuff in PMDD, so I just made a batch using
the mixing dosing instructions for PMDD using KSO4 only.  It seems to have
worked well.  I'll bet you can do the same for KNO3.

Chetlen Crossnoe
Baylor College of Medicine
Structural and Computational Biology and Molecular Biophysics
cc691077 at bcm_tmc.edu
"All the things that God would have us do are hard for us to do."
                                                     -- Melville