UV and glass

> From: Paul Nicholson <paul at eisusa_com>
> Subject: Re: lsp at nf_sympatico.ca

> >I know that glass windows absorb, or deflect UV rays.
>
> Glass generally will pass UV rays, while plastics do not. This is why UV
> erasable EPROM chips come in a glass ceramic package with a glass window
> for erasing the data by exposing it to UV. Plastic windows won't work,
> because they won't pass the UV. Too bad, because a plastic package would be
> much cheaper.

Regular fused silica window glass usually is opaque to far UV, but
might transmit near UV.   Windows which are designed to transmit UV
might be made of fused quartz instead of silica.

Richard Masoner in cloudy Champaign Illinois USA, where Air Force One
got stuck in the mud while taxiing for takeoff.