Strange Algae

Jennifer writes:

<<I have a strange algae growing on the sides of my tank that I don't
recognize. I looks like little (1mm) olive gray pompoms on the glass. Does
anyone know what it is?>>

Only a guess - it might be a very strange "critter" called Plumaria. If so, I
have been told it is virtually impossible to grow in a Laboratory, but I have
occasionally found it growing quite nicely on my aquarium glass.

I say "critter," because the last time I tried to get more information (sorry,
it was about 30 years ago!!) about it, nobody had decided yet whether it was a
colonial animal with plant characteristics, or a strange colonial algae/fungus
that MOVED. If it should be Plumaria, under a magnifying glass you will see
the little "tentacles" of each little plume MOVING under their own power. The
individual plantlets look a bit like tiny Sea Anemones. Strange stuff.

OTOH, it may just be an ordinary form of algae. :-(

Just a guess - hope it will be helpful.

Cheers!

Jean Olson
JOlson8590 at AOL_com