snails

i recently found snails breeding in my tanks. i probrably got them from
some new plants and they are producing faster than algae! Can anyone
tell me if they eat new plant shoots? I find all the new leaves on my
plants nibbled off and i wonder who the culprit might be.......the SAE"S
or the CAE"s or the Cardinals? I feed my fishes about once every 3 days
but i am not giving the ottos or the sae's and the cae's any food. WHo
could be the culprit? Help me if anyone knows about this subject.
Thanx
Raymond Yeo