Re: Light/? Problems

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Darrell Roze wrote:

> Since you have cloudy water, your light could be significantly
> reduced, especially seeing as you have a tall tank.  If you can clear
> up you tank, I suspect that you will have enough light to grow a fair
> number of plants.

Well, I went to the store and couldn't resist buying another used twin
tube strip light for fairly cheap.  I now have a total of 120 watts for my
45 gallon high tank, although the back strip light doesen't completely
fit, has to sit its back end on the power filter a little.  Most of the
light makes it in I think though.  I hope this should be plenty of light,
about 2 1/2 watts per gallon.  I also did a complete water change and that
cleared up the cloudiness quite nicely.

> I think that you did something very wrong in the way that you added
> the laterite.  I used duplarite a long time ago, when I was just
> starting out.  I suspect that if it is used correctly, you should get
> little to no cloudiness.
>
> How wet did you get the laterite before you covered it?  It should
> not be very wet, just moist. You should not have water showing before you add
> the next level.  If you have red mucky water before you add the rest
> of the gravel, this will leach into the rest of the water.
>
> How big is your gravel? I would think large or even medium gravel
> would also cause problems.
>
> How did you add the water into your tank?
<-- snip -->

Well, I also bought another 20 pounds of gravel at the fish store when I
got the light, which added another 1/2 inch or so to the top layer of
plain gravel.  It is very small in diameter, the smallest the store had
besides sand.  When I did mix the duplarite, it was indeed very wet.  That
was probably my mistake.  However, I got some plants and when I planted
them I was surprised to get very little clouding at all.  Everything seems
to be going good now.  I went to the fish store and got some plants they
reccommended to do good for beginners/low light.  But before that I bought
a "Brazil Sword" from a normal pet shop (they don't specialize in fish).
I thought it would be a nice centerpiece.  I picked the most healthy
looking one in a tank of about 20 and took it home.  I got home and
discovered that the little sign they stick in the pot said "Brazil Sword;
Terrarium; Moderate Light"  It didn't say "True Aquatic" like I've seen on
other ID signs.  I've read about stores selling land plants as aquarium
plants but didn't think about it at the time.  So after I noticed this I
called them back and told them they sold me a plant meant to be potted in
earth and I want my money back.  They didn't give me my money back... told
me "Oh! That's ok, it will do FINE in your aquarium, they live in both!"
<shrug>  I guess I'll have to see what happens with it.

Matt Kowske
xc at innocent_com