Adding peat moss to decrease ph??

Hi everyone,

A pet store employee told me that to decrease the ph of my tank (water
is about 7.6-7.8 naturally in my city) that I could remove the carbon
bag from my Aquaclear 200 and replace it with bagged peat moss... she
said plants prefer more acidic-neutral water.

Is this true?  Will the peat harm/benefit the plants and fish?  What
will removing the carbon do???  I have a fairly heavily planted tank
with tiger barbs, tricolor shark, cory cats and chinese algae eaters...

Any thoughts???

Adam