Co2 Reactor

Hi all,
I have been using a DIY Co2 system for about a month now, and am seeing
some growth even though I have been feeding the Co2 into the intake of my
power filter (I could tell it wasn't working very well, big bubbles were
showing up in my filter).  So, I am now feeding the bubbles into a
plastic container that is floating at the top of the tank.  It can hold
21/2 cups of gas and about 25+ cubic inches of surface area for gas
exchange.  Still, it is constantly full and practically all of the
bubbles escape.  Alas, I do not know what to do.
Suggestions?

T Borich
In Iowa, where freezing rain is forecasted for two hours tonight.