Re: Subject: Yikes! Too much light?

You are right.  You have too much light - for the current environment
in your tank.  You have not provided enough information to try
and make a judgement on the problem in your tank.

If you look at how bright natural light is compared to how bright your tank is,
you will find that your tank does not compare.  It is fairly obvious
that you can have an effective tank with the amount of light that you
have.

I have a few questions for you:

Do you inject CO2?  The more light that your tanks have, the more
important CO2 is.

What types of plants do you have in your tank?  Until you are able to
find a balance in your tank, you may want to find some very fast
growing plants to take up excess nutrients in your water.

Have you tested your water? Your nitrates should be low, but not 0.
I suspect that you are OK here. Generally phosphates should be as low
as posible. A couple of large water chages should do the trick --
unless that water that you are adding is high if phospates.  Iron
should also not be high. I find that as long as my tanks show some
iron, I am OK.

I also have not found a compelling arguement to light my tanks more
than 10 hours.  After about 10 hours, plants start closing up and
stop producing bubbles.  14 hours, even with only 2 bulbs is too
long.

- Darrell