re: Bubbling of plants (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 10:37:46 -0600
From: Steve Garinger <sgaringer at pivotint_com>
To: aquatic-plants-owner at actwin_com
Subject: re: Bubbling of plants

 I believe that the bubbling you are seeing is due to O2 saturation.  I
base this on observation, rather than on chemical testing.  I used to
run a trickle filter on my 55.  The plants were pearling most of the
time; I even saw occasional pearling when I was not supplementing the
CO2.  (Note:  I was injecting the CO2 into the return pump.)  Trickle
filters are known to create high O2 sat and to drive off CO2.  I have
now removed the trickle filter, and just have a sponge and power head,
primarily so that I can inject the CO2 into the power head.  I get
excellent plant growth, much better than before, but I only see lots of
pearling after water changes.

If you want lots of pearling, I would suggest a trickle filter or oxygen
reactor, to increase your O2 sat, coupled with higher than normal CO2,
to compensate for the loss of CO2 in the reactor or filter.

Steve Garinger