Flourite

billski asked...

> Does anyone have any experience or opinions about Seachem's Flourite
> substrate ??   I haven't seen much talk about it on the Net.  I'm
> considering using it but I don't know much about it.  Thanx.

I recently brought in a few bags to try in a test tank...it's a
brownish/red clay colour and is rather dirty...inspite of it being
pre-washed. I washed it many, many times and still couldn't get it as
clean as I would have liked. Eventually I gave up and just added it to
the tank being careful to gently add water.  Having said that it didn't
cause any problems in the water column.  I set this tank up about a
month ago, planted it fairly heavy but haven't really done anything else
to it, except turn the lights off and on. <g>

While it's really too early to really say much about it, I like what I
see so far....the plants are growing quite well and the tank is quite
attractive in appearance. I really like the look of the stuff.   At this
point the major draw back, in my opinion, is the cost of shipping it and
what that will contribute to the overall cost.  Otherwise I think it
might well be a good substitute for a laterite/gravel mix.  Time will
tell...

For those who are not familar with the product a brief description
follows.

Seachem Flourite is a specially fracted porous clay gravel for the
freshwater, natural planted aquarium.  Although it may be mixed with
grave, Flourite is best used as an integral substrate bed. Gravel
modifiers such as laterite are not necessary. Flourite is not chemically
coated or treated and will not alter pH. Available in 7 kg [15.4 lb]
bags.  Each bag is sufficient for about a 2 inch deep bed in a typical
10 gallon tank.

Dan Cole, Mail Order Pet Supplies
Subscribe to our FREE Tropical Fish Hobbyist Newsletter!
Mailto:mops-news at databack_com and place the word "subscribe"
in the body of your message or visit us at http://www.mops.on.ca