Plants turning brown??

> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 98 09:13:57 -0500
> From: "Boris Kaushansky"<boris_kaushansky at datascope_com>
>
>      I've had my 25 gal setup for 4 months now.  Gone through the cycle
>      stages, through the algae blooms, cloudy water and finally water
>      parameters are stable and OK.  The tank has DIY CO2 via eheim
>      canister, and is dosed regularly with iron and other supplements.
>      Hygros and watersprite grow like weeds, java moss is greatly spreading
>      and amazon has more than doubled in size.
>
>      Here's the problem though, the older leaves on ALL the plants have
>      what appears to be a brown coating or maybe they lost their entire
>      green coloring for the brown.  They leaves never went through a yellow
>      stage just green to brown.  It appears as though they are
>      deteriorating.  The new leaves on the other hand, are vibrant green.
>      Oh, the tank has 2 20W tubes, triton and trichromatic, additionally
>      their is no glass to and bulbs are 2" above the surface of the water.
>
>      Please help, I'm stumped!!

Before you bought your plants they were probably grown in a pond or
greenhouse under intense light, and some of them were likely grown
emersed (with the leaves out of the water) as well.  The conditions
in your tank are very different, so the plants will grow new leaves
adapted to the new conditions.  They will recycle nutrients by pulling
them out of the old leaves and using them to grow the new ones.  What
you see happening is this natural process.  As long as there is healthy
new growth, don't worry about the death of the old leaves.